This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Peggy 1 day, 10 hours ago.

• Author

Peggy
    Keymaster

Introduction to the Transformation Community Forum

OK, I’ll start. I’m Peggy Kelsey and procrastination used to be an issue that I became really aware of when I began creating The Afghan Women’s Project. Although I was inspired by the goals of my project, there were a number of important Tasks that I either disliked or that scared me. I knew that the project would fail if I didn’t figure out how to make myself do them, so I did.

After all this time, I still procrastinate. However, I very seldom let it get in the way of doing what I need to get done. The areas where I am most prone to procrastination are when I think my Task will take a long time, or when it involves technology.

Not letting procrastination undermine my dreams enabled me to take two trips to Afghanistan, write and publish my book, Gathering Strength: Conversations with Afghan Women,* and eventually launch this course. My commitment to you is to show up here on a daily basis to encourage you and answer your questions. I’m really looking forward to meeting you all.

If you are interested in reading more of my own story and those of Afghan women, check out Gathering Strength. The Afghan Women’s Project is dedicated to sharing unbiased information about a wide variety of Afghan women and their situations. (Their diversity may surprise you!) The format of the book focuses on different topics, such as sports, health care, women’s rights, education and many more, giving the reader a broad and nuanced picture of women’s lives and struggles in that country.

When going through a business branding exercise, there was one characteristic on my list, that when I owned it, gave me peace. While my brand includes the qualities of integrity, and the need to offer real value, the fact that I’m not perfect and OK with it, has enabled me to sleep at night. Important items will be corrected, of course, but I believe that by giving myself permission to be imperfect, I’m freed from the constricting and judgmental self-flagellation that keeps me stuck. It allows me to be real. It also gives the perfectionists among you permission to be imperfect as well.

*It seems that they are pushing the Kindle version of Gathering Strength on Amazon now, but you should know that the paperback is more up to date, not to mention a little cheaper.

Mary Word
    Participant

Hi, I am Mary. I have always been a ‘dawdler’ as my parents referred to it when I was a child. Although when it is something I really want to do–or when it is something I have already gotten into–I can really get my teeth into a task. Saying that, I realize that even things I want to do I can manage to dance around getting started. So usually the middle of something is not hard for me, but getting started and getting finished are. There is a weird reluctance to do the last steps and actually finish something. And of course there is the ‘squirrel’ factor. Distraction has never been portrayed better than the dog in UP.

I work and have a long commute, so time is an issue. I actually develop online courses, so I probably won’t be able to help myself from doing QA as I go. For example, on the first lesson the Guidelines link is not valid… so I hope that is OK. You can’t fix something if you don’t know it is broken.

My second job is dog pillow. I have two long haired dachshunds. My furkids. And koi and goldfish in a pond, and plants that need watering… and eleventy-thousand books that need reading. And stuff that needs weeding out and organizing. Sometimes I am tired of being a grownup and want to just be a kid again. But much of what overwhelms me is just unfinished projects. So I signed up for this course. Cheers.

Peggy
      Keymaster

Hi, Mary, So glad to see you here!

I’m not sure about that guidelines tab. So far, I haven’t been able to find a way to access it in the course building software. But, knowing that, I put the guidelines in the Resources folder. And yes, it’s one of those little bugs to figure out. I appreciate you letting me know about any technical issues you have.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.