Use Intentions to Help Achieve Your Goal
Goals guide and focus your actions toward what you want to achieve. One important component of successful goal completion is your intention of how to go about attaining it, that is, a determination to act in a certain way as you pursue your goal.
Differences between goals and intentions
- A goal is an external achievement.
- A goal is a destination or specific achievement.
- They are focused on the future.
- You can see a goal.
- Intentions are lived each day, independent of reaching the goal or destination.
- They are focused on the present.
- Intentions concern your inner-relationships with yourself and others.
- When you are intentional, you decide ahead of time how you want to be in the moment, as you work toward your goal, independent of whether you are winning or losing,
- Your intention guides your moment to moment focus. This means you are living your values and what matters most to you,
- When you partner your goals with intentions, you can become a person who enjoys the journey as much as the destination.
Guide to setting your intention
- Stop and take a breath or two.
- Feel yourself settled into your surroundings.
- This is a good time to be honest with yourself. Look inside and determine what is best for you.
- Bring your Task to mind and write what you intend in relation to it.
- Write your intention and seal your deal with a sip of water
(Remember, your intention is not your goal, not, I will complete this Task, but a way of working toward your goal such as, I will remain alert to distractions and redirect myself from them while working toward my goal.)
You can amplify your intention with a dedication.
Dedication: the act of binding yourself (intellectually or emotionally) to a course of action.
You can dedicate your efforts to:
- a person you admire or want to emulate,
- Your future self,
- a cause you believe in,
- anything else that has meaning to you.
This topic and more are covered in my online course, Take Back Your Life: Get on the Path to Productivity, coming to Change Your World in June. (www.transformyourworld.us) Meanwhile, for more productivity tips, check out (and like) my Facebook page, Change Your World Courses.