Transform Your World … Are You Ready? Forums The Transformation Community Forum Week 4: Insights, Reasons and Triggers

This topic contains 6 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Peggy 2 months, 1 week ago.

• Author

Peggy
    Keymaster

Peggy Davis
    Participant

The 3 environmental factors that impact me are:
    Lack of sleep;
    Task is set by me, therefore I don’t make it a priority; and
    Invitations from friends.

Strategies for overcoming these fàctors – sleep has been a lifelong issue for me. I attempt to go to bed at the same time daily, exercise, and clear my mind.
    When a task is set by me, I can màke it a priority by putting it on my calendar, working 15 – 30 minutes every time it is scheduled, break it down into pieces, have small rewards when complete a piece, select a big reward for completing the entire project. Something that is realistic monitarially, time-wise, and that will motivate me.

To address invitations from friends, to check my calendar and see if it can be scheduled on another day, to let the friend know that I’m currently working on a project and will contact them in 2-3 weeks when I’m available.

Peggy Davis
    Participant

One of my triggers is: “I can do it tomorrow.” This can apply to any activity, but is especially true of a project for myself. I’m more likely to complete something I’ve committed to do for someone else than for myself. I don’t make a project, at least one I view as hard and not fun, as a priority. I continue to find other activities that become more important, to the point of never starting the overwhelming, boring project.

To counter this belief and feelings, I need a new perspective and belief. I also need to make projects determined by me to be a priority, and follow through with completing a project before starting a new project.

I can schedule the project on days on my calendar and work on it for 15 minutes, determine whether to continue working on it longer, or move to another task, knowing that I’m working on that project, a little at a time.

Àlso, I can change my perspective to a positive viewpoint and modify my belief.

maepouget
    Participant

Insight that procrastination is not laziness and the disconnect between intention and action. I had not thought of procrastination in that way. I equated failure of self control as over indulgence not inaction. Surprise 8)

I don’t sleep well, so I am always tired and sleep becomes a priority. I need to discontinue technology in my bedroom. I can leave my phone in the bathroom so I can still hear my alarm but not surf the net at night. I also can start to exercise (there IS a gym on the ship). I now have a scripted morning schedule, so I can stick with it.

maepouget
    Participant

One of my triggers is “drive-by” meetings with my staff or patients. I feel like I need to stop what I am doing to meet needs of other people. Drive-by meetings do a disservice to my staff, my patients and myself. I can provide my staff/patients with dedicated/quality time – scheduled time so I will focus on their needs while completing my tasks.

I can schedule regular staff meetings on my calendar with my staff. Drive by patients may (if not emergent) be scheduled in appointments or followed up by email. Using a calendar and to do list (both available in Outlook) will allow me to stop “drive-by” meetings from filling my time so I can complete the tasks I need to get done.

Peggy
    Keymaster

Woops, Mae, so sorry I didn’t see this till now.

So, how is following your scripted morning schedule going? If it’s going well, congratulations!!!

If it’s not working as you like, how can you tweak it to fit your real life better? And as for the gym, what can you do to make yourself actually go? 🙂 Exercise is one of those things that I don’t think I’ll ever just do enough of naturally. (I used to lie to myself about that, telling myself that I was getting enough just in my daily life. This went on for years until I got a bone density wake-up call.) Anyway, since I KNOW that I need to make myself do it, and in any given moment would naturally choose to do something else, I knew that I’d need an external source of motivation. What has worked consistently for me for years now is having an accountability partner.

Perhaps you have someone you know who can be your accountability partner. (I talk about accountability partners in the course but don’t know if you’ve gotten to that part yet.) I also just set up an Accountability room in the forum where keep your accountability. I’ll be monitoring it regularly. You can get to it from this link: https://www.transformyourworld.us/forums/topic/accountability/

Peggy
    Keymaster

Wow, your plan to stop drive-by disruptions should have an amazing effect on your productivity. You may have found by now that you’re getting some resistance, but that is to be expected, even after explaining your new program well and pointing out the benefits to them. Of course it will be tested. You just need to stay firm on the need for meetings, and over time, they’ll get used to it. (They HAVE to get used to it–you’re the boss!) You just need to be strict with enforcement, no matter how loudly your need to meet other people’s needs shouts at you. 🙂

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.